Sunday, September 6, 2015

CS3216 - Week 4 (and 3)

Assignment 1? Done.
Assignment 2? Partially done, still writing comments.
Assignment 3? I'm eager to start.

Since I forgot to post my reflection last week, some content of this post will be relevant to week 3 as well.

Rants about the module

Even though the intention of the module is great, sometimes it feels like the module is poorly organized.

For example, during our meeting for Assignment 2, I vaguely remembered that there is a 5 words limit for each slide, whereas my other teammates did not. So, we checked the pdf file for the assignment, and the only thing that is written there is that "In particular, each presentation is limited to 20 slides and each slide should have exactly 20 seconds of air time.". So we ended up with some wordy slides and 19 slides, since it doesn't violate the rule written on the assignment handout. To our surprise, our slides were rejected. The 5 words limit were real.

I still have no idea why did this happen, or where did I hear the 5 words limit.  Probably Colin said it in the workshop. However, the teaching staff clearly mentioned that the workshop is optional. Information as important as this should not be disclosed only in the optional workshop. Might as well make it mandatory.

When the pressure starts to pile up on me, not just from this module, but from the other modules as well, I almost dropped this module. I would, if not for...

Assignment 1 - Awesome Team

... our very awesome team in assignment 1. Even though our team is not the technically strongest team out there, I feel that we really enjoyed working together. Even when we have a lot of problem, we would still laugh. A lot. It really helped to alleviate some of the stress. I did stress out a bit (especially nearing the deadline, since I'm not a deadliner and not used to work near the deadline), but I really enjoyed the moment that we had together.

Hopefully, my time with my assignment 3 group can be at least as enjoyable as my assignment 1.

2 comments:

  1. >.<

    Ehh sir ah..

    i) Your deck had 19 slides, which automatically disqualifies it.
    ii) All of you were sent an email on 22 August at 10.29 am, with the email posted on IVLE announcments for CS3216. The mail reads:

    Hi all,

    Every team has been allocated a topic, and two of you have been assigned to a team because you did not assign yourselves. One was allocated to Group 11 and the other to Group 8.

    Please get started on your decks. Your decks MUST:

    i) Consist of EXACTLY 20 slides.
    ii) AUTOADVANCE EXACTLY every 20 seconds.
    iii) NOT have more than 5 words (does not incude pictures or screenshots that you don't intend to read from nor require the audience to read)

    These terms are not negotiable. So if you submit a deck that has fewer or more than 20 slides, does not autoadvance automatically in exactly 20 seconds, has too many words, etc, the deck will be rejected.

    If you don't see an "OK" against "Deck Check" in the class wiki, you won't get to present next Monday and you will forfeit the presentation marks.

    Many thanks,
    Colin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colin,

      As a student, my intuition would to take a look at the pdf file first, since for all my other modules, all the details of an assignment are inside the pdf handout. I did not even think of checking my email to find more details.

      It's somewhat different from emails about review cycle: For the review cycle emails, the main points are about the review cycle itself, and the date of the review cycle. For this email, what I did was reading the main points first: 'Every team has been allocated the topic', and 'Please get started on your decks', assuming that all the details are also in the pdf file.

      I'm actually wondering, is there any reason not to include these requirements in the pdf file?

      Thanks,
      Nathan

      Delete